8.22.2011

Tip of the Day: A Million Uses

Okay, maybe the title was a bit exaggerated.  The tip for today is how to make use of one item of clothing you've purchased.  Two days ago, I was with my sister-in-law at a little garage sale in Missouri.  There were lots of fun kid items, but I didn't want to buy any clothes for my girls because they didn't need anything.

And then I saw the dress.

It was creme, almost floor-length, and embroidered with large flowers, and it was exactly Seattle's size.  It was one of those expensive dresses little girls wear to weddings.  I looked at the tag--$5.  A good price, really, considering she probably paid $60 or more for it.  But I didn't need it.  She saw me lingering and said, "I'll take $2 for that if you want it."  I paused for just a fraction of a second and then gave right in.

So back to the tip for the day.  I took the dress home and thought, "Where will she wear this?"  It was too fancy for church, and I wouldn't let her wear it around the house.  And then I thought of Christmas!  And Easter.  And her uncle's missionary home-coming.  And weddings.  And then I realized if I cared for it well enough, all my daughters could wear it (it's that nice).  And after it had been through the ringer, I could use it as a dress-up.

I walked away from the sale, happily clutching my little dress.

So put your finds to use and stretch that $2 dress into a million (or 4 or 5) uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment