5.23.2011

Tip of the Day: The Who's Who of Thrift Stores

This isn't so much a tip as a list of specific places I shop.  Though they're local, the general rule applies to most of these chains.

1. Volunteers of America on 3620 Indianola Ave. (also 5640 West Broad):

Generally good for toys and kids' clothes.  You do have to hunt a bit, but there's a much wider selection here than most thrift chains (of course, Once Upon a Child is different . . . we'll get to that).  My friend, Marcie swears by the one on Indianola for toys.  Clothing is not categorized by size, and for that reason, I don't shop for my own clothes here.

2. Goodwill on 2799 North High (ish):

More of a dumping grounds for college kids, which is why I like to shop for my clothes here.  They're usually a touch more fashionable and less worn.  Not the best for kids clothes or toys.  The book selection is fair (I've bought quite a few classics here).

3. Goodwill on 2794 Morse Rd.:

Love this one for clothes for myself.  It's pretty new, too, so it feels nice inside.  Some Target cast offs that are new here, too.  Not the best for bedding or kids.  Great women's selection.

4. Ohio Thrift on 5714 Emporium Sq. Columbus (near Worthington):

My favorite for purses, belts, and shoes.  Ohio Thrift in general are very well run facilities.  Huge selection of toys and kids clothes, too.  This is kind of like the Wal-mart of thrift stores, since it has so much stuff.  There's even a separate warehouse for just furniture.  It's a little more pricey than other chains, but the selection is so much bigger, it's worth it sometimes.  They have selected sections for "nice brands" as well, priced a little higher, of course, but you can get fancy brands if that's what you're after.  Most Ohio Thrift branches are fantastic.  I also go to the one on 4340 West Broad, which is excellent as well.  I love the animal cookies they sell at the checkout--can't find them anywhere else:).

5. Once Upon a Child on 5777 Karic Square Dr. Dublin (off Riversideish) and 7454 Sawmill Rd. (just at the corner of Hard Rd. and Sawmill):

Most moms know about this place, and if you don't, it's so magical, it's almost hard to describe:).  But I will--
It's rows and rows and rows of pure kid stuff.  Beds, car seats, toys (lots of those), CLOTHES, shoes, you name it.  They even have kid rugs sometimes.  They're fantastic, and I always get Seattle's shoes here (her purple biker boots she wears at church came from here).  These are my two favorite locations.  Both are fantastic.

6. Plato's Closet on 2011 Henderson Rd.:

I know everyone knows about Plato's, but there may be someone out there who doesn't.  I love it.  Right next to it is another shop called the Clothes Mentor sporting more "motherly" (but still stylish) clothes, since Plato's is geared more toward teens and young adults.  I love both stores (Clothes Mentor has a lot of maternity stuff, too).  I go to Plato's when I need something very specific (ie: I needed a black and white dress for my sister's wedding).  They're probably twice as pricey as the thrift store, but twice as cheap as a regular department store.  It's great for jewelry, shoes, and purses, too.  I love their jeans selection and dresses.  Really, everything is great here.

I frequent a few other thrift stores, too.  There are a ton of Goodwill stores on Morse Rd., and some are really, really good for furniture (Goodwill is usually best for furniture).  If you have more questions, just post a comment!  Happy hunting!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! :) I'll definitely have to hit some more thrift stores before we leave Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Thanks for posting these. Looks like I have some adventures to go on. =)

    ReplyDelete